Walvis Bay is located on Namibia's west coast and is the largest deep-water commercial port of the country. The town is situated just north of the Tropic of Capricorn in the Kuiseb River delta and lies at the end of the TransNamib Railway to Windhoek, and on the B2 road.
Although discovered by Diaz in 1487 - Walvis Bay was only founded in 1793 by the Cape Dutch. Two years later it was annexed by the British. In 1910 Walvis Bay became part of the South African Union. The Dutch referred to it as Walvisch Baye and the English as Whale Bay. In its eventual proclamation, it came to be called Walfish Bay, then Walvish Bay, and ultimately Walvis Bay.Read More