Walvis Bay is located on Namibia's west coast and is the largest deep-water commercial port of the country. The town is situated just north of the Tropic of Capricorn in the Kuiseb River delta and lies at the end of the TransNamib Railway to Windhoek, and on the B2 road.
Although discovered by Diaz in 1487 - Walvis Bay was only founded in 1793 by the Cape Dutch. Two years later it was annexed by the British. In 1910 Walvis Bay became part of the South African Union. The Dutch referred to it as Walvisch Baye and the English as Whale Bay. In its eventual proclamation, it came to be called Walfish Bay, then Walvish Bay, and ultimately Walvis Bay.
The Walvis Bay Lagoon attracts board sailing enthusiasts from all over the world. Walvis Bay is one of the world’s best spots for windsurfing, kite surfing and kayaking. Boat cruises are also popular and provide great views of dolphins, seals and spectacular seabirds.
The Walvis Bay Yacht Club organises regattas for hobby cats, fireballs and catamarans. The aim of the club is the encouragement of amateur yacht sailing and the operation of sea-going motor yachts in Walvis Bay and adjacent waters. In December the Club hosts the 19-mile-long Off-Shore Yacht Race from Walvis Bay to Swakopmund.
This area is also a birder’s paradise. Wetlands in and around Walvis Bay are home to a large number of migrant birds and to more than half of southern Africa’s flamingos.
Located against the sand dunes and the sea just south of Walvis Bay within the Namib-Naukluft Park, Sandwich Harbour is another wetland of international importance. Sandwich Harbour’s northern wetland is sustained by water seeping from an aquifer beneath the dunes. This freshwater wetland supports 36 species of fish and a large bird population of shorebirds, waders and flamingos. Peak bird counts suggest up to 70,000 birds in summer.
Accommodation in and around Walvis Bay include Hotels, Luxury Guesthouses, Bed and Breakfasts, Self-catering and camping.